Thursday, March 25, 2010

In defense of Dick Armey?

Kinda hard for a Libertarian of any stripe to defend Armey who voted for the Patriot Act and the Iraq War among other things but I do think he needs to be defended this time.

An article on Politico shows that Armey is under fire from the Religious Right and anti-immigrant (both illegal and legal) groups. Both groups complain that Armey's group FreedomWorks doesn't promote the statist agenda of the Christian Right and that Immigration (legal and illegal) isn't mentioned.FreedomWorks as an organization mainly focuses on economic issues and not on social issues. Neocon Malkin calls him a "amnesty stooge" when in fact during the big amnesty push in 2007 FreedomWorks sent emails to it's supporters condemning amnesty and encouraging them to contact their congressman to oppose it. If I rightly recalled I got at least one notice to contact my representative from them every other day. Just because one isn't as militant on the issue as Pat Buchanan and Frosty Wooldridge doesn't make them amnesty lovers.

Am I calling Armey a Libertarian? No I am certainly not but I rather have him as an ally than statists Malkin and Perkins.

No comments:

Post a Comment